The Doctor’s Bag: Oil Embargo
For an audio version of this post, please click on the speaker icon (top left).
“If you don’t take care of your body, where are you going to live?”-Unknown
Achieving retirement bliss is the ultimate goal for those who wish to pursue financial independence and possible early retirement.
Most people focus on wealth to achieve this.
However it is important to not neglect other factors that will be vital to our happiness in our golden years.
What good is it having the financial means to enjoy any activity in retirement yet you are unable to because of health constraints?
As was touched upon in my Sous Vide Doctor’s Bag post, I not only underwent a financial transformation, I chose to also do a lifestyle transformation, which encompassed eating healthy and starting to exercise.
Sous vide definitely forms the mainstay of my healthy cooking.
However there are times when I crave something different, something supposedly not healthy.
Basically something fried.
It is alright to indulge in these cravings (as with all things) in moderation.
Well luckily there is a way you can satisfy your craving for fried food and reduce the impact said food has on your waistline.
This is a more ubiquitous kitchen appliance than the sous vide one I previously discussed, so there is a good chance that a percentage of readers already own one.
This post is for those who might have seen commercials and figured, like I did, that it was just a fad.
I was pleasantly proved wrong.
I have used my Air Fryer quite extensively and I truly feel that there is no sacrifice in quality of food prepared this way versus the far more unhealthy way of deep frying.
There is minimal (if any) need for oil which provides the biggest health benefit of cooking with hot circulating air.
I will leave you with a very simple but delicious recipe that is one of my favorites made with the Air Fryer:
Fried Chicken Finger Wraps:
Ingredients (I’m providing Amazon affiliate links where appropriate so you can see the actual products, and preferably find it for less in your local grocery stores)
- Chicken tenderloins (8)
- 1 egg
- 4C Japanese Style Panko Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- Sliced pickle chips (I highly recommend Famous Dave’s Signature Spicy Pickle Chips)
- Terry Hos Sauce Yum Yum Sauce
- Whole Grain Tortilla Wrap (I recommend a low carb (5 Net Carb) Santa Fe Tortilla Company Whole Grain & Flax Tortilla Wraps (can get in Sams Club)
- Whisk egg for egg bath
- Dredge chicken tenderloin in egg bath, then fully coat in Panko Bread crumb seasoning (for added flavor can brine the chicken tenderloin in extra pickle juice night prior)
- Preheat Air Fryer for 2 min at 360 degrees
- Place tenderloins in basket and cook 5-6 min, then flip tenderloin and cook additional 5-6 min.
- Place in wrap with pickles and Yum Yum sauce and enjoy
Curious to see what other items are in my doctor’s bag?
Just open the bag and peer inside, you may find something of use.
NOTE: The website XRAYVSN contains affiliate links and thus receives compensation whenever a purchase through these links is made (at no further cost to you). Although these proceeds help keep this site going they do not have any bearing on the reviews of any products I endorse which are from my own honest experiences. Thank you- XRAYVSN